sheet of honey used to treat wounds
VCU Engineering alumnus Isaac Rodriguez has recently developed a product that uses Manuka honey — which has stronger antibacterial properties than other honeys — to promote healing of chronic wounds, such as those experienced by those with diabetes. (Courtesy of Isaac Rodriguez)

Using honey to heal chronic wounds

Isaac Rodriguez, a VCU Engineering alum and co-founder of the medical device company SweetBio, developed a product that uses Manuka honey to promote healing.

Share this story

Isaac Rodriguez, Ph.D., always had a general interest in engineering. But it wasn’t until his mom had a total hip replacement when he was an undergrad that he fell in love with medical implants.

“I knew I wanted to use my engineering skills to design and develop materials that can go into the body to help patients recover,” he said. “This was what steered me toward biomedical engineering for graduate school.”

As a recipient of the Gates Millennium Scholarship, Rodriguez’s tuition would be paid at any school in the country. Virginia Commonwealth University’s pioneering work in tissue engineering drew the Fredericksburg, Virginia, native to the College of Engineering for his master’s and Ph.D., which he received in 2010 and 2013 respectively.

“While researching graduate programs I discovered Dr. Gary Bowlin, who was a professor at VCU Engineering and a world-renowned tissue engineer,” Rodriguez said. “He was one of the first to do nanofiber electrospinning of materials that mimic the body’s structures, and among the first to do this with biodegradable polymers. I was excited about the research he was doing. His name and reputation, plus VCU Engineering’s tissue engineering program … were what brought me to VCU.”  

In 2015, Rodriguez co-founded the medical device company SweetBio. He has recently developed a product that uses Manuka honey — which has stronger antibacterial properties than other honeys — to promote healing of chronic wounds, such as those experienced by people with diabetes.

Rodriguez discussed his research and how his work at VCU Engineering laid the groundwork for his company.

Isaac Rodriguez looking through a microscope
Isaac Rodriguez. “Honey has been used for medical applications for a long time — since ancient Egypt. But there have been problems … . It’s sticky and messy and, for wound healing, it has to be reapplied frequently. We developed a way to 'unmess' honey, leverage its beneficial components and synthesize them with other materials to create uniform sheets.” (Courtesy of Isaac Rodriguez)

What did you research at VCU Engineering? 

I did a lot of work in bone tissue regeneration in collaboration with [then-VCU Engineering doctoral student] Parthasarathy A. Madurantakam, D.D.S., Ph.D. My dissertation focused on engineering gelatin composite sponges that could be implanted at the site of a bone injury to help the body form new bone. I got to work on other tissue engineering research, including a vascular graft project with Michael McClure, Ph.D., who was in grad school around the same time. Another important project was a publication with [then-VCU Engineering postdoc] Scott Sell, Ph.D., which explored how the interaction of honey and growth factors from platelet-rich plasma stimulate wound healing.

And this helped lay the groundwork for your company SweetBio? 

That’s right. SweetBio makes wound-healing products that use Manuka honey, a collagen derivative and nanoparticles to support tissue regeneration. My sister, Kayla Rodriguez Graff, and I founded the company in 2015 in Memphis, Tennessee, where I had been working with Dr. Bowlin as a postdoc since 2013. 

How do you use honey to heal wounds?

Honey has been used for medical applications for a long time — since ancient Egypt. But there have been problems with using honey for this purpose. It’s sticky and messy and, for wound healing, it has to be reapplied frequently. We developed a way to “unmess” honey, leverage its beneficial components and synthesize them with other materials to create uniform sheets. These sheets can be implanted at the site of a chronic wound, like the kind experienced by people with diabetes, to facilitate healing. This product is called APIS. It is fully absorbed by the body within one to three weeks and doesn’t have to be removed. 

Isaac Rodriguez and Kayla Rodriguez Graff in a lab
Rodriguez, right, and his sister, Kayla Rodriguez Graff, founded SweetBio in 2015. (Courtesy of Isaac Rodriguez)

How’s your company doing? 

It’s doing well. APIS is Food and Drug Administration cleared and has been used in a number of hospitals and clinics around the country. APIS is approved for use in Veterans Administration hospitals nationwide and we are working closely with the Memphis location for usage. We’re also seeking coding for Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. We’ve raised more than $5 million in investments since we began in 2015 and our technology is globally patented.

How did VCU Engineering help you advance your research and entrepreneurship? 

There are so many answers to that question! As far as my research goes, at VCU I got to be part of a great biomedical engineering program that works closely with a top-tier research hospital. I also think its diversity prepared me to be an entrepreneur because it exposed me to so many backgrounds, ideas and points of view. VCU Engineering was one of the original founders of the da Vinci Center, and that kind of multidisciplinary approach to product development is exactly what entrepreneurship is about. While I’m SweetBio’s chief science officer, I think with my entrepreneur hat on all the time. 

What do you find most remarkable when you visit your alma mater?  

It relates to what we were just talking about, the way the college keeps connecting engineering and entrepreneurship. Just walk through East Hall. You see engineering labs and classrooms, but a few steps later, you’re in the business building. There’s no wall in between them. (I can’t wait to see the new Engineering Research Building when I come back.) I have always stayed involved and am now on the college’s biomedical engineering undergraduate advisory committee. I see a lot of other alumni doing great things, and the excitement is just getting amplified every year.  

sheet of honey used to treat wounds
The honey sheets can be implanted at the site of a chronic wound, like the kind experienced by people with diabetes, to facilitate healing. It is fully absorbed by the body within one to three weeks and doesn’t have to be removed. (Courtesy of Isaac Rodriguez)

If you had to describe VCU Engineering in three words, what would you choose?

“Inventing with purpose.” VCU Engineering has a practical approach, with a focus on the real world. If something you invent in a lab works, but it costs the consumer $5,000 every time they use it, you don’t really have a product that can be used on the majority of the population and that can address a large health care problem. The college knows that.

When you are not in the lab or running a biotech company, what do you like to do? 

I love seeing my nephews, who are 4 and 2 and live just eight minutes away. And I just got engaged in May, so we are pretty busy with wedding plans right now. I love being outdoors and have been playing Frisbee golf for about 20 years. I also like to play pool.

Fun fact about you? 

When I was 7, I was one of the youngest Taekwondo black belts in the country.